Get Dosed | November 6
To keep you chomping at the bit, eagerly awaiting your next dose of food, fashion and design, we present 12 Things to Love about the November Dose:
1. Doughnut Vault! Six brand-spanking-new flavors, plus 1200 doughnuts, equals one very happy group of Dose-goers (arrive early to get your fix). Wash it down with warm Seedling cider, La Colombe coffee and Rare Tea Cellar teas.
2. Complimentary Templeton Rye cocktails from the mix-masters of Bittercube. The Wisconsin-based artisan bitters-makers are back with seasonal cocktails in tow, sweetened by local Bron’s Bees honey, available for sale at Heritage Prairie’s table.
3. Dose loves Uusi’s new wrapping paper, playful calendars and wooden animal box sets for the designophile and Burrow & Hive’s line of modern textiles (think scarves, pillow cases, bags) featuring ikat-esque prints.
4. The May Box debuts body lotions and bath teas made from natural, locally sourced ingredients — the perfect way to prep your skin before slipping on pretty, playful Orange Lingerie.
5. Renowned Ann Arbor deli Zingerman’s Creamery debuts at Dose with cheese in tow. Yes please, Zingerman’s cheese!
6. Get lit with Poems While You Wait as three distinguished poets write you a piece of poetry based on inspiration you give them. Bonus: 100% of proceeds benefit Rose Metal Press.
7. Great Lake is back with a new spread of focaccia, salad, pantry favorites and homeware from their famed Andersonville storefront.
8. Toki, Chicago’s reigning jewelry darling, teams up with her sister-in-chic, Winifred Grace, to make your necks, wrists and fingers shimmer. Roslyn makes winter wardrobe shopping fun with funked-up boots, outerwear and genius necklaces for new moms.
9. Meat Mania: Pick up local beef from Circle Quarter Seven Ranch (also making an appearance at Pasta Puttana’s table in the form of Q7 ragu sauce), Old Town Social charcuterie and Franks ‘N’ Dawgs sausage sandwiches and — new this month — take-home frozen sausages.
10. Debbie Carlos goes big with large-scale photographs and poster calendars. Big Things pops up from San Francisco, stocking fantastical fashion and home accessories from around the world.
11. A carb consortium in the form of sweets from pastry chef Meg Galus of NoMI Kitchen, the launch of new pie company Rustic Tart and addictive cookies, bars, and scones from under-the-radar bakery Sweet Sensations.
12. NoMI Spa asks, “Sugar or Spice?” You pick: Sit back and take in intoxicating seasonal scents with a special Dose series of hydrating, indulgent hand treatments.
Let the countdown begin!
What: Dose, a monthly food and fashion market (dosemarket.com)
When: Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10 a.m.– 4 p.m.; one Sunday per month thereafter
Where: River East Art Center, 435 E. Illinois St. (312-321-1001; rivereastartcenter.com)
Transportation: Nearest El stop at Grand Red Line. 4-hour parking for $6 with Dose validation in the Parkview garage (456 E. Illinois St.; before the light at Peshtigo Ct.).
Price: $10 admission at the door; $8 pre-orders at dosemarket.com/tickets